Historic Markers Across Florida



Surfside Dance Hall And Bath House



Marker ID: FLHM F-556
Location: on the Coastal Hwy at Surfside Ave., St. Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 55.431    W 081° 17.670
  29.92385    -81.2945
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVFW
 



Text:

Here from the early 1900s stood Surfside Casino. Casinos did not offer gambling  they were entertainment centers. Surfside was built as part of the Capo family resort destination of 165 acres. The yacht Pauline II ferried visitors from St. Augustine up the North River to Capo´s Landing at the west end of Surfside Avenue where they could stay at Capo´s Hotel and have a five course meal at a 120-seat restaurant for 25 cents. A horse drawn trolley brought visitors to Capo´s Beach where the casino offered an upstairs dance hall, a downstairs bathhouse, and a venue for horse races, organized sports and picnic events. A bathing beauty might have her photo taken in front of a biplane on the beach. The North Shores Improvement Association began meeting here in 1939 to improve the quality of life on this barrier island. During and after World War II, Surfside was popular with military personnel where local bands and jukebox music were enjoyed. The building remained a favorite place for young people to have parties through the 1960s. In the 1970s the aging building was torn down and the site converted to a county oceanfront park.

Sponsors: the St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners and The Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: St. Augustine, FL