Historic Markers Across Florida



Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory



Marker ID: FLHM F-804
Location: on Riberia St north of Lorida St, St Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.450    W 081° 19.103
  29.89083333    -81.31838333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKA3Q
 



Text:

The Sollo-Carcaba Cigar Factory, completed in 1909, is the last remnant in St. Augustine of the cigar industry, whose local origins date to the 1830s. Political unrest drove many Cuban cigar makers to Florida after 1868. Their numbers in St. Augustine were enough by 1892 to attract a visit by revolutionary leader Jose Marti. One Cuban, P.F. Carcaba, born in Oviedo, Spain, brought his cigar-making business from Cincinnati to St. Augustine in 1893, selling pure Havana "Caballeros" in boxes featuring images of Henry Flagler's great hotels. After Carcaba's death in 1906, his son, W.H. Carcaba, partnered with his brother-in-law, Agustin Solla, to construct this building. Local architect Fred A. Henderich, a specialist in revival and Bungalow styles, melded Italianate and Mediterranean Revival elements in his design for the building. The Carcaba Company failed in 1917, its assets purchased by the Pamles-Arango Cigar Company, which itself collapsed in 1926 along with the Florida economy. The building then housed a number of businesses before its restoration in 1985. The oldest surviving major industrial building in the city, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.

2014 James M. Byles and the Florida Department of State