Historic Markers Across Florida



Tabby Wall



Marker ID:  
Location: on St George Street between King St and Artillery Ln, St. Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.498    W 081° 18.762
  29.89163333    -81.3127
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM8BDH
 



Text:

"The wall left of this plaque extending 15´ west is the only known example of a colonial tabby wall in St. Augustine. It has been covered to preserve and protect it. The end of the wall was left exposed to show its construction."
"Tabby houses comprised 39% of the structures in the city in 1763 at the end of the first Spanish period. By 1788 only 5% remained."
"Tabby, made of whole oyster shells, is the equivalent of modern poured concrete."
"Preserved for prosperity by Mr. & Mrs. Donald L. Bessey 2002"
A plaque on the Lindsley House provides some additional information about the Tabby Wall and reads as follows:
"Pedro Horruytiner y Pueyo was the first documented owner of this house, a member of a prominent Spanish family. Don Pedro Benedit Horruytiner and Don Luis de Horruytiner were governors of Florida during the First Spanish Period (1565-1763). It remained in their family until the time of the British occupation in 1763. Through the centuries many distinguished Spanish, British and American military, government and professional leaders have resided here."
"This home, one of the oldest in St. Augustine, have 12" thick exterior and interior walls constructed of "Coquina," a porous native shell stone. It has survived storms and fires that engulfed the city in earlier years. The house and courtyard wall, built right up to the street, reflect requirements of royal decrees for New World towns issued by the King of Spain in 1573."
"In the southeast corner of the courtyard wall is a section of "Tabby" which is made of whole oyster shells. It is the last known free standing wall of this type in St. Augustine dating back to the first Spanish Period."

Sponsored: Mr. & Mrs. Donald L. Bessey


Notes:

City: St. Augustine, FL