Historic Markers Across Florida



Casa Avero



Marker ID:  
Location: on historic St. George Street in St. Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.776    W 081° 18.793
  29.89626666    -81.31321666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM7M92
 



Text:

Casa Avero
St. Photios National Greek Orthodox Shrine
Built 1749 - Restored 1979
This shrine is dedicated to the memory of the 400 Greeks who arrived in St. Augustine in 1768. Took on fresh supplies, then journeyed south to help settle the colony of New Smyrna, Florida. After ten difficult years, the survivors of that colony sought refuge in St. Augustine, where they gathered in the Avero House for worship. These pioneers comprised the first permanent settlement of Greeks on this continent. This house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Property of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America

Sponsored by: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America


Notes:

City: St. Augustine, FL