Historic Markers Across Florida



Site of Fort Peyton



Marker ID:  
Location: in the woods at the end of an alleyway behind a housing area on Arrowhead Dr., St Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 49.293    W 081° 21.365
  29.82155    -81.35608333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4C3M
 



Text:

Fort Peyton, established by Major General Thomas S. Jesup in August 1837 and garrisoned by regular army troops, was one of a chain of military outposts created during the Second Seminole Indian War, for the protection of the St. Augustine area.
It consisted of four log houses built in a hollow square; two occupied by the troops, one by officers, and the fourth used as a hospital and commissary.
This post was first known as Fort Moultrie, but its name was changed in honor of Lieutenant Richard H. Peyton, post commander in 1837. The Seminole Indian Chief, Osceola, was captured about a mile south of this isle.
Fort Peyton was ordered abandoned by the Secretary of War, Joel R. Poinsett, in May 1840. The buildings burned to the ground on February 14, 1842, presumably set afire by an incendiary.

St. Johns County Historical Commission - 1966


Notes:

City: St Augustine, FL