Historic Markers Across Florida



Cofradia Site Coquina Well ca.1614-1657



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Aviles St and Bravo Ln, St Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.430    W 081° 18.675
  29.8905    -81.31125
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMM27N
 



Text:

The 1990 excavation of this coquina block well revealed furniture fragments from the 1600s, a rarity among St. Augustine's artifacts. Most likely, the well was built in the early 1600s and filled quickly about 1670 with household items from a catastrophe, perhaps a fire or an enemy raid. Archaeologists found chunks of earthen building material, probably from a house destroyed by a tragedy.
A 1764 map of the city reveals ownership of the site by the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament, a religious organization of laypersons. Earlier documents have not been found to explain the destruction that filled the well.

In 2004 protection of this rare and important site as a park became a project of Old Town Association, Inc., in partnership with the Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources and the City of St. Augustine. Financial underwriting was provided, in part, by Celestine Vision, LLC, in honor of Aviles Street's role in "The Celestine Prophecy" movie.


Notes:

This marker is a wooden sign