Historic Markers Across Florida



St. Augustine City Gate



Marker ID:  
Location: On the city gate on the north side of downtown at the end of St. George St., St. Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.867    W 081° 18.813
  29.89778333    -81.31355
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMM4MH
 



Text:

This gate, opened in 1739, provided access through the defense line on the north side of Spanish St. Augustine.

Royal engineer Manuel de Rita built these coquina pillars in 1808.

This tablet was originally erected in 1907 by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Florida. It was revised to commemorate the tricentennial of Castillo de San Marcos