Historic Markers Across Florida



Slave Market



Marker ID:  
Location: in the plaza in downtown St. Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.555    W 081° 18.691
  29.89258333    -81.31151666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMM4MB
 



Text:

From 1605 to 1765 there stood on this site a guard house and watch tower.

Under British rule it became the market and place of public auction ever since called the Slave Market.

This tablet authorized by the following committee appointed by the City of St. Augustine-Harold Colee-Pres. St. Aug. Historical Society, Col Herbert Felkel-Editor St. Aug. Record, C. Morton Matting, M.D. Tourists, Nina Hawkins-Member -D.A.R., Robt. Ranson