Historic Markers Across Florida



Pena-Peck House-First Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1750



Marker ID:  
Location: 143 St George St, St Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.608    W 081° 18.769
  29.89346666    -81.31281666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMTTMK
 



Text:

Pena-Peck House
First Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1750


Three major phases of town growth are depicted in this house. The first phase is represented in the first floor's L-shaped plan of coquina during the First Spanish Period, the second is an eastern wing built in the British Period, and the final is the wooden upper story added during the Territorial Period. The resulting structure is larger and more impressive than the traditional dwellings. Minor modifications, additions, and deterioration were factors addressed during the 1968 restoration. Physical evidence, archival research, and archaeological studies contributed to the building's restoration. Since 1931 the building has been owned by the City of St. Augustine and under management of the Woman's Exchange.