Historic Markers Across Florida



The Boat Basin



Marker ID:  
Location: in the small park at the foot of the Bridge of Lions in St. Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.543    W 081° 18.640
  29.89238333    -81.31066666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMQ88T
 



Text:

A Boat Basin at the east end of the Plaza was constructed as part of the new coquina seawall of 1840. This Basin was important to St. Augustine residents who depended on the river and harbor for their livelihood, travel, and recreation. This photo (right) is a view of the Boat Basin after the devastating fire of April 12, 1887 destroyed the wooden St. Augustine Hotel and burned the roofs of the Cathedral and the Public Market.

Archaeological investigations in 2000 discovered the west wall of the Basin now under the Ponce de Leon statue and Avenida Menendez. When the Basin was abandoned in 1895, a wooden bridge was constructed across Matanzas Bay which was itself replaced by the current Bridge of Lions in 1927.

City of St. Augustine and the
St. Augustine Archaeological Association