Historic Markers Across Florida



Mission of Nuestra Señora del Rosario de La Punta



Marker ID:  
Location: on Trementon St at South St in St. Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.008    W 081° 18.490
  29.88346666    -81.30816666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMQ88W
 



Text:

From the late 1720s to the early 1750s the green space just beyond this wall was the site of the church and cemetery for the mission community of La Punta (FL Site #8SJ94). This mission was home to refugee Yamassee and Apalachee Indians who had fled the attacks of English colonists and allied Indians from Carolina to the relative safety of the Spanish capitol.

The mission church was located near the center of La Punta, which consisted of dispersed farmsteads within a 30-acre area just south of the Rosario Line, one of the city's colonial defensive walls. Along with other mission communities that surrounded the city, La Punta formed part of St. Augustine's comprehensive defense-in-depth system.

This green space protects the resting place of more than 75 individuals, the majority of whom were buried below the church floor. The church was constructed of palm thatch and lumber, which deteriorated shortly after LaPunta's abandonment circa 1755.

St. Augustine Archaeological Association,
the owners of Bonita Bay
and the City of St. Augustine