Historic Markers Across Florida



St. Augustine on Anastasia Island



Marker ID:  
Location: north of St. Augustine Alligator Farm on FL A1A, St Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.131    W 081° 17.458
  29.88551666    -81.29096666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTQ92
 



Text:

St. Augustine on Anastasia Island


St. Augustine, the oldest European-settled city in the United States was located on Anastasia Island from 1566 until 1572. Spanish settlers had founded the city on the west shore of the Matanzas River on Sept. 8, 1566. They built homes and a fort. The fort and the supplies inside burned. On May 18, 1566, a council voted to relocate the city to the barrier island for protection from hostile Native Americans and European enemies entering the port. Documents describe in detail the city's 6-year presence on the island-two forts, government buildings, barracks, a jail, times, wells and fields for corps. No physical evidence has yet been found. Quarrying in the 17th and 18th centuries and erosion probably destroyed the remnants of the city on the island. Sixteenth-century reports not the that the island city was two leagues (5-6 miles) from a strong house on San Julian Creek, placing the city on this general area of high ground and near the 16th-century inlet. The relentless ocean eroded the town's location. In 1572 St. Augustine returned to the mainland.

2016St. Augustine Historical Society