Historic Markers Across Florida



Avero House-First Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1735-1794 (Restored 1979)



Marker ID:  
Location: 41 St George St, St Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.776    W 081° 18.792
  29.89626666    -81.3132
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMTTN2
 



Text:

Avero House
First Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1735-1794 (Restored 1979)


The Avero family lived on this property from 1712 until 1804 even before the existing building was constructed, with the exception of the British occupation period during 1763-1783. The restoration was undertaken to approximate the character of the building as it existed in 1753-1763 using documentary and archaeological evidence. The restoration process included reconstruction of a missing building section that commemorates its use as a place of worship then called San Pedro Church, led by Father Pedro Camps who sponsored a free school in 1787 with classes taught in Spanish until 1790. The coquina stone blocks, side entry, arcaded loggia, and flat roof are characteristics of prominent First Spanish Period dwellings in St. Augustine.

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior.