Historic Markers Across Florida



Trinity Episcopal Church-Territorial Period, Built ca. 1831



Marker ID:  
Location: 215 St George St, St Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.528    W 081° 18.746
  29.89213333    -81.31243333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMTTYB
 



Text:

Trinity Episcopal Church
Territorial Period, Built ca. 1831


Trinity Episcopal Church faces the Plaza opposite the Cathedral Basilica. It is built on the site of the 1735 Spanish Bishop's House and the 1774 British Statehouse, and it might have some of their foundation stones in its walls. It is the oldest Protestant church building in Florida, and the first in the Gothic Revival style. The spire was added by 1843, when the parish could afford it. A stained glass window by Louis Comfort Tiffany was added in 1905, and in 1903 the church was expanded to the west with a new entrance facing St. George Street. The 1831 church is preserved as the north transept and Chapel of St. Peter.