Historic Markers Across Florida



Minorcan Burial Place and Parish Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: Tolomato Cemetery in St. Augustine, FL.
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.818    W 081° 18.918
  29.89696666    -81.3153
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVEWR
 



Text:

Minorcan Burial Place and Parish Cemetery


When the Minorcans came to St. Augustine in 1777 during the English Period, they needed a cemetery and their pastor, Fr. Pedro Camps, obtained permission from English Governor Patrick Tonyn to use the former Indian cemetery.

St. Augustine was returned to Spain in 1784 and Tolomato Cemetery then became the parish cemetery. Burials reflect the parish population, including people of Spanish, Irish, African, Cuban, Haitian, Italian, French, Greek and English descent.

Fr. Camps and Fr. Narciso Font, his successor, were both buried in Tolomato Cemetery but their remains were transferred in 1800 to the new church (now the Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine). The last burial in Tolomato occurred January 11, 1892.

The X.L. Pellicer family and many other Minorcan families over the years have helped maintain this cemetery in honor of their numerous ancestors who rest in this sacred ground.

Tolomato Cemetery Preservation Association