Historic Markers Across Florida



The Railroad In Dundee History



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location:
County: St. Lucie
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Dundee Passenger Depot, built ca. 1912, was the first depot on the Haines City to Sebring Line of The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. Most of Dundees early growth can be attributed to the railroad. With the advent of the railroad, the Minneapolis, Minnesota-based Highland Development Company, brought settlers down from the Midwest, refunding their fares when they purchased land. Dundee and the railroad both prospered. Hotels and rooming houses were built to house the prospective buyers and others who came just seeking a spot in the Florida sun. The station was segregated from 1912 to 1954. Although passenger service was discontinued in ca. 1954 the depot continued to handle freight until c. 1975 when the line was discontinued. The depot was then moved to its present position and renovated into a museum commemorating the role the railroad played in the development of the town of Dundee.

Sponsors: The Dundee Depot Restoration Committee and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Dundee, FL