Historic Markers Across Florida



St. Lucie County



Marker ID: FLHM F-60
Location: Indian River Drive at Courthouse
County: St. Lucie
Coordinates: N 27° 26.798    W 080° 19.351
  27.44663333    -80.32251666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMMFW3
 



Text:

St. Lucie County


St. Lucie County was formed in 1844 and recreated in 1905. Named for St. Lucie of Syracuse, the region's original inhabitants were the Tegesta Indians. Ft. Pierce, the county seat, was named for Major B.K. Pierce, brother of Pres. Franklin Pierce. The fort was the headquarters of the Army of the South under Gen. Jesup during the Seminole Indian wars. A settlement about the fort began soon after its establishment about 1838.




F-60 1961



Notes:

City: Fort Pierce, FL