Historic Markers Across Florida



Sarasota Woman's Club



Marker ID: FLHM F-493
Location: on N Palm Ave west of Coconut Ave, Sarasota, FL
County: Sarasota
Coordinates: N 27° 20.194    W 082° 32.726
  27.33656666    -82.54543333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3047
 



Text:

In 1903, what later became the Sarasota Womans Club was founded as the (Sarasota) Town Improvement Society. Members were active Sarasota Women who successfully lobbied town leaders to install streetlights and sidewalks, and undertook horticultural projects to beautify the area. In 1913, they began raising funds to build a clubhouse to accommodate the clubs social activities and to serve as the towns first library, which remained there until 1941. In 1914, this site was purchased for $2,000 and members and the community raised the funds to begin constructing a clubhouse. In April 1915, the handsome Jacobethan Revival-style clubhouse, designed by local architect H.N. Hall and built by local contractor George Lysat, was completed. For 61 years, the clubhouse was a focal point for the groups varied activities and was the scene of numerous social, literary and entertainment gatherings. In 1976, the Sarasota Womans Club moved to new quarters. Nevertheless, the former clubhouse continued its use as a center of Sarasota culture and entertainment for many more years until 1977, when it was placed in use as the home of Florida Studio Theatre, a non-profit, professional, regional theater company.

Sponsors: the Florida Studio Theatre, Inc. and the Florida Department of State 1993


Notes:

City: Sarasota, FL