Historic Markers Across Florida



Buchans Landing - Hub of Englewood



Marker ID:  
Location: W. Dearborn St and Old Englewood Rd. Englewood, FL
County: Sarasota
Coordinates: N 26° 57.720    W 082° 21.890
  26.962    -82.36483333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5XCG
 



Text:

New families arriving in the early 1900´s, along with pioneer descendants, developed Englewood into a thriving community from a small fishing village.
1917 - Buchan landing built by P. E. Buchan.
1917 - Tamiami Trail from Venice through Englewood.
1921 - Sarasota County created. P. E. Buchan appointed County Commissioner, Lemon Bay District.
1922 - First county election. J. D. Anderson elected County Commissioner, Englewood, District 4.
1925 - Multi-million dollar paper boom development.
1926 - First Englewood State Bank - $15,000.
1929 - Anderson & Davids, Lemon Bay Fisheries, Buchans Landing, only industry operating during the depression.
1951 - J. D. Tate served in the Florida Legislature for one term.

Sarasota County Historical Commission 1981


Notes:

City: Englewood, FL

Buchan's Landing was where the old sailing ships docked, bringing goods and supplies from Tampa to Englewood in the days before there were any roads.