Historic Markers Across Florida



Owen Burns (1869 - 1937)



Marker ID:  
Location: On S. Pineapple Ave near Oak St, Sarasota, FL
County: Sarasota
Coordinates: N 27° 19.883    W 082° 32.325
  27.33138333    -82.53875
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9KQ9
 



Text:

Owen Burns was one of Sarasota´s most distinguished citizens and connected with virtually every early development of the city. He first came to Sarasota on vacation from Chicago in 1910 and decided to make it his home. He purchased more than 75% of the land area of the city, making him the largest landowner. Burns helped organize the Sarasota Board of Trade in 1911, was instrumental in founding the first locally owned bank, and was a leader in the push to divide Sarasota County from Manatee County in 1921. His other activities included the effort to have the city´s first streets paved and the construction of Sarasota´s first seawalls. He oversaw the development of the bayfront subdivision of Cedar Point and Sunset Park and of Washington Park, just east of this site. His Burns Construction Company built the Ringling causeways connecting Sarasota to St. Armands Key and Lido Key. At one time he owned all of Lido Key. He was initially involved with John Ringling in the development of St. Armands and John Ringling Estates. During the 1920´s, his construction firm was responsible for the construction of some of Sarasota´s most notable buildings, including John and Mable Ringling´s home, Ca´d´zan.

Sponsored by: The City of Sarasota


Notes:

City: Sarasota, FL

Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Depot

Buchan's Landing was where the old sailing ships docked, bringing goods and supplies from Tampa to Englewood in the days before there were any roads.