Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Miakka School



Marker ID:  
Location: On Wilson Rd., Sarasota, FL
County: Sarasota
Coordinates: N 27° 19.222    W 082° 16.173
  27.32036666    -82.26955
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMEXP7
 



Text:

Old Miakka School


(Side 1)
This Maikka School House was built in 1914 by J.B. Rogers for $1,390. It was the first school in then Manatee County to be built using school bonds authorized by the Legislature of 1913.
The two acres of land surrounding the school house were deeded to the county on July 23,1914 by Augustus M. and Calidonia Wilson. "Gus" Wilson represented Manatee County in the State Legislature of 1913 and 1915. Hed was postmaster of Miakka, served as tax assessor, census enumerator, and as a member of the school board for eight years.


(Side 2)
Professor Lee Hall was hired for $55 a month when the building was completed. Teachersngenerally resided with the families in the community. School was in session only five months a year, as puples were needed at home to help with family crops and other chores.
The Miakka School was disbanded around 1944 and pupils were sent to other schools. Jasper Crowley, who served from 1933 to 1944, was the much loved teacher at the time.
On July 3, 1986, The Miakka School was officially listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Sarasota County Historical Commission 1987



Notes:

City: Sarasota, FL


Wikipedia - Miakka School House