Historic Markers Across Florida



Historic Palm Tower



Marker ID:  
Location: on the front wall of the Historic Palm Tower, at the intersection of Main St and S. Palm Ave, Sarasota, FL
County: Sarasota
Coordinates: N 27° 20.130    W 082° 32.602
  27.3355    -82.54336666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMJHG9
 



Text:

HISTORIC
PALM TOWER
From livery stable, fish house and pool hall
in the 1800's to
SARASOTA'S FIRST "SKYSCRAPER"
Construction began in 1924, was completed in 1925,
expanding upwards from a 2-story boarding house to
its current 7 stories, and appropriately named
HOTEL SARASOTA
This building functioned as a center for much of the
social life of Sarasota, for both visitors and residents,
until 1971 when the hotel was closed.
In 1974, Carl Shapiro saved this historic structure from the
wrecking ball and converted it into executive offices.
Palm Tower continues to serve Sarasota's downtown
community in its current operation as an executive
office-building.
Bon Eau Enterprises acquired the building in 2005
and continues to upgrade and preserve this small
piece of Sarasota's past.