Historic Markers Across Florida



Henry Shelton Sanford Grove And Experimental Gardens



Marker ID: FLHM F-5
Location: In front of the Sanford Museum, 520 East First St.
County: Seminole
Coordinates: N 28° 48.713    W 081° 15.785
  28.81188333    -81.26308333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In this vicinity Henry Shelton Sanford, pioneer citrus grower, established the St. Gertrude grove in 1871. There, and at his Belair grove and experimental gardens, he advanced the industry through development of some 140 types of citrus. The Sanford gardens experimented with other tropical fruits, planting 30,000 exotic trees from South America and Africa. Much of the labor in the groves was performed by Swedish immigrants who settled at nearby New Upsala.


Notes:

City: Sanford, FL