Historic Markers Across Florida



Railroading in Maitland



Marker ID: FLHM F-522
Location: Lake Lily in Maitland, Florida
County: Seminole
Coordinates: N 28° 37.273    W 081° 22.039
  28.62121666    -81.36731666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3EA2
 



Text:

Before railroads to Lake Maitland were established, travelers make their way to Jacksonville to board a steamboat for the trip up the St. Johns River to Sanford Landing at Sanford, passengers found it necessary to hire a horse or team to take them over the primitive trail to Lake Maitland. The South Florida Railroad was the first railroad to this area from Sanford, and was backed by Henry Sanford. Lake Maitland resident, Dr. Clement C. Haskell was treasurer of the railroad, and Bolling Robinson Swoope of Lake Maitland was the Superintendent and Manager. The engines which were provided with extended smokestacks to protect passengers from smoke and cinders were dubbed cabbage heads. The new railroad was completed to Maitland in 1880 and terminated at the southern edge of town, and opened new markets for shipments of citrus and other products to the north. Tourists from the north sought the Lake Maitland area for the health giving benefits of the mild climate. Passengers were met at the depot and were transported by horse and buggy to their hotel. The stationmasters office was located in Packwood Hall, then the town hall, until the depot was built in 1883. The depot was still in use when a small tornado moved it from its foundation in 1969 and it was torn down. In 1883 the railroad was purchased by the Henry B. Plant Investment Company, making it part of the Plant System and the line was extended to Tampa. The Plant System consolidated into the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in 1903. Sponsors: the City of Maitland and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Maitland, FL