Historic Markers Across Florida



Altamonte Springs



Marker ID:  
Location: In Cranes Roost Park on Cranes Roost Blvd, Altamonte Springs, FL
County: Seminole
Coordinates: N 28° 40.052    W 081° 22.911
  28.66753333    -81.38185
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3EC8
 



Text:

In 1880, the South Florida Railroad completed a line from Sanford to Orlando. A flag stop was established at Snowville or Snows Station, where the railroad crosses SR436. By 1886, the line connected New York City to Tampa via Altamonte. The community of Snowville, for tourists reasons, became Altamonte Station and finally Altamonte Springs, when a spring was found on the southwest shore of Lake Adelaide. With the potential for winter tourism, Boston Capitalists chartered the Altamonte Land Hotel and Navigation Company in 1882 to build a winter "Florida Boston Town". They purchased 1200 acres along the shores of Lakes Adelaide and Orienta and built a hotel on what now is the southwest corner of SR436 and Maitland Ave, dividing a portion of the land near the hotel into building lots. A horse drawn tram carried visitors between the railroad station and the hotel. The hotel (open only for the winter season) was host to many families and notable visitors. The hotel burned in 1953. Many of the winter visitors started citrus groves nearby. Pineapple and sugarcane were also grown. Agriculture needed year round labor and black, as well as white workers became permanent residents. The great freezes of 1894-95 wiped out citrus throughout the state. Due to its wealthy tourist base, Altamonte Springs survived while many of the local citrus centers disappeared as people abandoned their properties and moved elsewhere.

During the early part of the 20th century, asparagus, plumosis ferns and oranges were grown here. Altamonte was incorporated as a town in 1921. In 1947, year round residents took control of the city government. Altamonte Springs was reorganized as a city in 1967.

Seminole County