Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Reid



Marker ID:  
Location: In Speer Grove Park on Catalina Dr at Mellonville Ave, Sanford, FL
County: Seminole
Coordinates: N 28° 47.704    W 081° 15.382
  28.79506666    -81.25636666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK6MQ
 



Text:

Fort Reid was named and established in this area during the Second Seminole War by Colonel William Harney on July 7, 1840, in honor of Robert Raymond Reid, Fourth Territorial Governor of Florida. Stationed here between July 1840 and January 1841 were the Headquarters of Colonel Twiggs of the Second Dragoons, including the commands of the St. Johns District, Army of the South, plus the District South of New Smyrna under Col. Harney. For the year of 1840, Fort Reid reached a force of 417 and temporarily replaced Fort Mellon a mile and a half north of here, allegedly for health reasons.

Developers about 1875, despite the Army's spelling, created a housing subdivision in this area giving it the name of Fort Reed. Also, in 1886, at what is now the northwest corner of the Airport in Sanford, a station on the railroad between Sanford and Oviedo was given the name of Fort Reed.

Seminole County Historical Commission



Notes:

More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars