Historic Markers Across Florida



Sanford High School/Sanford Grammar/Student Museum



Marker ID:  
Location: W 7th St between Myrtle and Elm Aves, Sanford, FL
County: Seminole
Coordinates: N 28° 48.372    W 081° 16.237
  28.8062    -81.27061666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQ5TN
 



Text:

(Side 1)
Sanford High School was built in 1902. This Romanesque Revival Style brick building with its massive three story bell tower was designed by Architect W.G. Talley of Jacksonville. The building is one of the few surviving examples in Florida's turn-of-the-century school architecture.

A new high-school was constructed in 1911 and the building was re-named Sanford Grammar School. Sanford architect Elton Moughton designed two symmetrical one-story wings which were added in 1916. The exterior is graced by decorative corbelling, string and bell courses and recessed round arched entryways. Sanford Grammar School served public students through 1984. At that time, the building's purpose and name changed to the Student Museum and Center for the Social Studies.


(Side 2)
The interior includes a Native American Room, Pioneer Room, a turn of the Century Classroom, doll collections, a Geography Lab, Grandma's attic and the Georgetown exhibit.

The building overlooks a park donated by the City's pioneer developer General Henry Shelton Sanford. Lush orange groves once stood on this park known as the George Touchy Park. Many of the trees have grown from seedlings of historic trees from around the nation. Other tree plantings honor notable Sanford residents.
The Student Museum is supported and operated by Seminole County Public Schools as an interpretive center and teaching Museum for grade school students. The Museum specializes in hands-on activities designed for integrated learning in an historic setting. In 1984 the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Seminole County Historical Commission