Historic Markers Across Florida



Korean War 1950-1953



Marker ID:  
Location: in Veterans Memorial Park along the waterfront, Seminole Blvd, Sanford, FL
County: Seminole
Coordinates: N 28° 48.923    W 081° 16.086
  28.81538333    -81.2681
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMQ6KF
 



Text:

At the end of World War II, Korea was divided into two parts, north and south, at the 38th parallel. Troops from the Soviet Union occupied the north and the United States forces occupied the south with the intention eventually unifying the country but Cold War fears made this impossible. In 1948, following a general election, the Republic of Korea was established on the south. At the same time, the Communist Democratic People's Republic of Korea was established in the north. On June 25, 1950 North Korean troops crossed the 38th parallel and attacked South Korea. The United Nations asked its member nations, including the United States, to stop the invasion. United Nations forces pushed the North Korean troops back and were in the north by October 1950. Fearing the war would spread; Communist China entered the conflict and helped push the UN troops back into the south. President Truman approved a buildup of the American military presence. Battles over territory were fought while peace talks went on for two years. The fighting ended when a cease fire was signed on July 27, 1953. A demilitarized zone was created along the 38th parallel and Korea remained divided. American troops remained stationed at the 38th parallel more than fifty years later.

Lt. Col. John F. "Jack" Bolt of Sanford was the only double ace fighter pilot in US Marine Corps history. He flew with US Marine Fighter Squadron 214, "The Black Sheep Squadron," in World War II. During the Korean War he shot down six Russian MiG-15s, becoming the war's only Marine ace. He was awarded the Navy Cross for extraordinary heroism during the war.

Naval Air Station Sanford was deeded back to the City at the end of World War II and used for civilian purposes until the outbreak of the Korean War. On May 1, 1951 the Navy reactivated the station to support operations of fleet carrier aircraft. Squadrons of Carrier Group 3 were the first to arrive at the station.

Carrier Air Group 3 squadron VF-31, stationed in Sanford in 1951, is the second oldest fighter squadron in the US Navy.

City of Sanford