Historic Markers Across Florida



Jamestown



Marker ID:  
Location: on FL 426 at James Dr, Oviedo, FL
County: Seminole
Coordinates: N 28° 37.854    W 081° 14.423
  28.6309    -81.24038333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQD1K
 



Text:

Side 1
The name "JAMESTOWN" is a tribute to Benjamin and Esther James. The James' homesteaded about 1900 on 160 acres in the area known as "The Woods" on the northern edge of the settlement of Gabriella. Mr. Ben James sold acre lots to some of the new settlers that moved into this area. "The Woods" had no real name so the residents began calling it "Jamestown," after Mr. Ben James.

The first lots were sold to Bob and Flossie Wells, George and Nettie Davis, Morris J. and Margaret Williams. Other early settlers were: The Nails, Olivers, Perrys, Bryants, Evans, Brannons, Walkers, Ryans, and many more families in years to come.


Side 2
In 1888 a one room school house was established and J.J. Fry appears to be one of Rock Hill Missionary Baptist Church was the first church built in Jamestown. The church was shared by both Baptist and Methodist members, who alternated Sundays for church services, and it was a school for the children during the week.

Mrs. Ethel Burney was the principal and teacher for the students in 1930. Ben James built St. James A.M.E. Methodist Church, named for him and his family in 1938. The school then moved to the St. James Church. Mrs. Louise Williams was the teacher until 1951-52, when the school was consolidated with Jackson Heights School in Oviedo.

Ben James placed a corner stone on the front of the Church which says: 7-30-38, St. James A.M.E., BEN JAMES & FAMILY, REV. J.H. HOLLIES, PASTOR, REV. A.P. POSTELL, P.E.

The "JAMESTOWN" community believes that they are blessed to have had ancestors who instilled in the, The Golden Rule.

Seminole County Historical Commission