Historic Markers Across Florida



Steamboating on the Suwannee



Marker ID: FLHM F-365
Location: at the intersection of U.S. 27 and Ivey Memorial Park Drive, Branford, FL
County: Suwannee
Coordinates: N 29° 57.324    W 082° 55.691
  29.9554    -82.92818333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMZB4
 



Text:

In the late 19th century, steamboats docked regularly at the old depot in Branford (originally called Rowland´s Bluff) when the settlement was a major port on the Suwannee River. From here the steam powered vessels carried the region´s cotton, lumber, and naval stores to market. In 1882, the depot also became the terminus for the Live Oak and Rowland´s Bluff Railroad. Steamboat traffic ended on the Suwannee before 1920, but the depot continued in use as a railroad station for many years. The wrecks of the steamboats "Madison", the "City of Hawkinsville" and others that lie on the river´s bottom are reminders of a vanished era. In 1982, the Branford Shrine Club purchased the depot from the S.C.L Railroad and moved it to its present site for use as a club house and community center.

Sponsors: the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Branford, FL