Historic Markers Across Florida



The Good Old Days



Marker ID:  
Location: at the springs at the end of 91st Dr, Live Oak, FL
County: Suwannee
Coordinates: N 30° 23.659    W 082° 56.034
  30.39431666    -82.9339
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMY8MW
 



Text:

The Good Old Days


Suwannee Springs was one of Florida's original tourist destinations. The springhouse was probably established around the time of the Civil War. People came from all around the east coast to partake of the "healing spring waters" which were rumored to cure everything from gout to marital problems. From the Civil War to the 1920's the site had a succession of 4 wooden hotels, a bath house, and many private cottages. A special spur railroad line was established just to handle the tourists to the springs. The last hotel burned in 1925 and with the decline of the railroads the resort faded away. Today, the springhouse and some private cabins on adjacent property is all that is left of the site.

Suwannee River Water Management District