Historic Markers Across Florida



Taylor County



Marker ID: FLHM F-364
Location: In front of Old Taylor Count Jail, 411 N. Washin
County: Taylor
Coordinates: N 30° 07.221    W 083° 34.876
  30.12035    -83.58126666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7JPJ
 



Text:

Taylor County was created from Madison County on December 23, 1856. It was named for Zachary Taylor, 12th president of the United States and commander of U.S. Army forces in Florida during part of the Second Seminole War. The name of the county seat was changed from Rosehead to Perry in 1875 in honor of Madison Starke Perry, governor of Florida from 1857-1861. This former jail is the oldest surviving public building in Taylor County. Erected in 1912, the Colonial Revival building was designed by Benjamin Bosworth Smith, an architect from Montgomery, Alabama, who had designed the Taylor County Courthouse erected four years earlier. The courthouse was demolished in the 1960s. A new jail was constructed in 1958.

Sponsors: The Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Perry, FL More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars