Historic Markers Across Florida



Shady Grove Methodist Church



Marker ID: FLHM F-913
Location: CR 14 just east of US 221, Shady Grove, FL
County: Taylor
Coordinates: N 30° 17.276    W 083° 37.839
  30.28793333    -83.63065
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVP8T
 



Text:

Shady Grove Methodist Church

Robert M. Hendry moved from Georgia and purchased farmland in the Shady Grove area in 1852. Reverend Henry, a Methodist Circuit Rider in Florida and Georgia, served as the pastor of Friendship Church in Madison County. In 1872, members of the congregation including Hendry and his son Thomas, organized the Shady Grove Methodist Church. The congregation held its first services in an old log schoolhouse, but moved a few years later to a new log building. This 1900 wood-framed church building with white clapboard siding was moved to this land, once part of the Hendry homestead, in 1909. The building's front door, flanked by sash windows on each side, opened to pews of rough-hewn native timber, polished smooth by use, and separated by a central aisle. Hymnals and stick fans advertising area businesses littered the pews. In 1963, a brick church building was constructed, and was dedicated as the Robert M. Hendry Memorial Methodist Church. For over a century, the church has served as a locus for religious and community activity.





F-913
Sponsored by The Robert M. Hendry Memorial Methodist Church,
and the Florida Department of State
2016