Historic Markers Across Florida



Debary Hall / Florida Federation of Art, Inc.



Marker ID: FLHM F-155
Location: at DeBary Hall site on Sunrise Boulevard
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 28° 52.461    W 081° 17.812
  28.87435    -81.29686666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGJ9
 



Text:

Built in 1871 by Baron Frederick de Bary. Born 1815 in Germany of Belgian descent, de Bary came to New York in 1840 as agent for Mumm´s Champagne. His estate of many hundred acres here in Florida was a hunting and fishing preserve and his family´s winter home, where many notables of the day were entertained. Presidents Grant and Cleveland and members of Europe´s royalty were guests. He died in 1898 in his 84th year, and his son Adolphe inherited the property. De Bary´s residence here was during the steamboat era of the St. Johns River, and his interests included ownership of a steamship line. FLORIDA FEDERATION OF ART, INC. Organized 1927 in Orlando for the purpose of promoting, developing, and advancing art in the State of Florida. DeBary Hall, with about five acres of land, was given to the Federation in 1959 by the Property Owners Association of Plantation Estates and became the Federation´s State Headquarters and Art Galleries. In 1967 the property was acquired by the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials, which then leased it to the Federation for its continued use. The Federation Committee that negotiated this sale and lease was Mrs. G.J. Brooks, Chairman; Mrs. Willard Bielby, Secretary; Dr. and Mrs. A.E. Brandt; Mr. William Daniell; and Mrs. Mabel Bullis.

Sponsors: Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials


Notes:

City: DeBary, FL