Historic Markers Across Florida



Sauls' House Site



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: In 2000 this marker was relocated from in front of the house to a near by park. Later it was moved to the Osteen Cemetery off Howland Boulevard. In October or November 2006, the old state marker will be replaced by a privately funded privately sponsored marker.
County: Volusia
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Central Florida opened to settlers at the end of the 2nd Seminole War. The creation of Mosquito (later Volusia) County in 1843 signified rising interest in the area. George and Adaline Sauls were among those who came to Volusia County in the 1850s. Sauls built a two-room home near the road from Enterprise to the east coast in an area which became known as Saulsville. He added a second floor and other rooms as his family increased. After the 1880s, population centered on the railroad town of Osteen. Sauls family members remained in their home until the early 20th century. The Sauls house stood for over 100 years until fire destroyed it in 1972.

Sponsors: Sponsored By The Volucia County Preservation Board


Notes:

City: Deltona, FL More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars