Historic Markers Across Florida



Gamble Place



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: 1819 Taylor Road (off S.R.431)
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 29° 05.395    W 081° 02.703
  29.08991666    -81.04505
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMM272
 



Text:

Gamble Place


In 1898, James N. Gamble, of the Procter and Gamble Company and a longtime winter resident of Daytona Beach, bought this land on Spruce Creek for use as a rural retreat. In 1907, he built a small cracker cottage with an open front porch and a breezeway connecting a separate kitchen and dining room, which he named "Egwanulti," a Native American word meaning "by the water." At the same time, he rebuilt an existing packing house to process citrus from his grove. In 1938, Gamble's son-in-law, Alfred K. Nippert, completed the "Snow White House," a Black Forest style cottage inspired by the Disney animated film classic Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The house is surrounded by a Witch's Hut, the Dwarfs' Mine Shaft, and an elaborate network of rock gardens. Collectively, these buildings and grounds form a historic landscape now known as Gamble Place. This property was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.

The Museum of Arts and Sciences of Daytona Beach and
The Nature Conservancy in Cooperation with the Florida Department of State.
1993



Notes:

City: Port Orange, FL