Historic Markers Across Florida



Old kings Road



Marker ID:  
Location: on S Frederick Ave., Daytona Beach, FL
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 29° 12.010    W 081° 02.510
  29.20016666    -81.04183333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6QNR
 



Text:

The Kings Road (also called Old Kings Road named for King George of England) crossed north to south near this site. It was the first graded road built in Florida. Approximately 1.14 miles extends through Ormond Lakes subdivision. Centuries ago, it originated as an Indian trail connecting Timucuan Indian villages along Florida´s East Coast. The Spanish laid out the primary trail during their first occupation of Florida (1513-1763). The British developed the winding trail into a working road (1763-1773) as area residents and the British Parliament put up funds for the highways construction. Among other uses during the British Period (1763-1783), it served the many large plantations being created along Florida´s East Coast. During the Second Spanish occupation (1784-1821) the Spanish regained control but preferred water routes to land passages and the Kings Road fell into disrepair. Following the American acquisition of Florida in 1821, the United States Congress appropriated funds to reconstruct the road. U.S. Army engineers completed the work between 1828 and 1831. The Kings Road was constructed from St. Marys, Georgia, to New Smyrna Beach, Florida, where it terminates at the remains of a stone wharf.

Sponsors: Polk County Historical Commission and the Florida Department of State 07/09/09


Notes:

City: Ormond Beach, FL