Historic Markers Across Florida



Foundation of Turnbull Palace



Marker ID: DAR 
Location: on N Riverside Dr between Julia St and Washington St, New Smyrna Beach, Florida
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 29° 01.637    W 080° 55.307
  29.02728333    -8.921783333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM6XM9
 



Text:

Begun around 1770 as the official residence of Dr. Andrew Turnbull, founder of the New Smyrna colony of Minorcans, Greeks and Italians, this palace was to have been a large coquina building. It was never completed due to the disintegration of the colony in 1777.

The massive foundation had been placed in the heart of a prehistory Indian mound, a commanding position which was noted as the Ais Indian Village of Caparaca on the Hexia map of 1803. Utilized by Ambrose Hull for his coquina home in 1805 - destroyed by radical "patriots" in 1812. The same site was chosen for the home of Thomas Stamps 1830. Burned by Indians 1835, the home hotel of John Sheldon followed in 1854, burned by Yankees in 1863, rebuilt after the Civil War.

Placed by Jane Sheldon Chapter DAR 1975.


Notes:

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL