Historic Markers Across Florida



Site of Sheldon's New Smyrna Hotel



Marker ID:  
Location: Riverside Dr south of Washington St,, New Smyrna Beach, FL
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 29° 01.636    W 080° 55.305
  29.02726666    -80.92175
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMKT0B
 



Text:

This coquina foundation rests within a shell midden from the Timucuan Indian era. Mystery still surrounds the origin of this foundation.

Jane and John Sheldon built a large hotel on this mound circa 1859. During the Civil War, the structure was destroyed by cannon fire from Union ships.

After the Civil War, Jane Sheldon built a smaller structure that served as a pioneer general store, port collector's office, boarding house and print shop, which published "The Florida Star", one of the region's early newspapers, structural problems forced the building's removal circa 1900.

Jane Shelton Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution New Smyrna Beach, Florida