Historic Markers Across Florida



Early Grocery Stores



Marker ID:  
Location: Bill & Franks Brickhouse Grill, US 17/92, Deland, FL
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 29° 01.780    W 081° 18.216
  29.02966666    -81.3036
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMR0WM
 



Text:

Early Grocery Stores


Although there has been a structure on this site since at least 1885, this building was erected about 1897. From the late 19th to the middle 20th century, most of DeLand's grocery stores were located along Woodland Blvd. Bushnell, Cantrell, Conrad, Dozier, Dreka, Gregory, Haynes, Marsh, Rhodes, Santilli, Vinzant, and Woodall are but a few of the family names associated with these stores. This site was the home of the first Stoudenmire grocery. Nothing was frozen. Meat was cut to order; produce and milk were fresh from area truck farms and dairies. Patrons could phone in their orders to be delivered to their homes. Credit was commonly extended to monthly tabs.

The West Volusia Historical Society.