Historic Markers Across Florida



Old King's Road



Marker ID: FLHM F-550
Location: On Ormond Lakes Blvd, Ormond Beach, FL
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 29° 19.420    W 081° 06.282
  29.32366666    -81.1047
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMEMW9
 



Text:

Old King's Road


The King's Road (also called Old King's Road-named for King George of England) crossed north to south near this site. It was the first graded road built in Florida. Approximately 1.14 miles extends through Ormond Lake's subdivision. Centuries ago, it originated as an Indian trail connecting Timucuan Indian villages along Florida's East Coast. The Spanish laid out the primary trail during their first occupation of Florida (1513-1763). The British developed the winding trail into a working road (1763-1773) as area residents and the British Parliament put up funds for the highway's construction. Among other uses during the British period (1763-1783), it served the many large plantations being created along Florida's East Coast. During the Second Spanish occupation (1784-1821) the Spanish regained control but preferred water routes to land passages and the King's Road fell into disrepair. Following the American acquisition of Florida in 1821, the United States Congress appropriated funds to reconstruct the road. U.S. Army engineers completed the work between 1828 and 1831. The King's Road was constructed from St. Mary's, Georgia to New Smyrna Beach, Florida, where it terminates at the remains of a stone wharf.






F-550 Florida Heritage Site
Ormond Lakes, Ltd.,
The Ormond Lakes Homeowners Association
and the Florida Department of State
2005



Notes:

One of several markers that commemorate the Old King's Road.