Historic Markers Across Florida



Ormond Fire House



Marker ID: FLHM F-738
Location: E Granada Blvd, Ormond Beach, FL
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 29° 17.454    W 081° 02.538
  29.2909    -81.0423
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKT0H
 



Text:

The Ormond Fire House, the only Works Progress Administration (WPA) structure in Ormond Beach, was built in 1937. The eclectically-designed two-story building features elements of Mission and Spanish Colonial Revival style architecture and is constructed of brick with a coquina veneer. It was designed by Alan J. MacDonough whose WPA projects include the Holly Hill City Hall and the Daytona Beach Bandshell and Armory. McDonough also designed the Peabody Auditorium and the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, where the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) was founded. Construction of the Ormond Fire House began in 1935 using 52 local workers. It was used continuously as a firehouse and police station until 2006. The building was also used as a polling station, City Court, and a hurricane shelter. A wooden Civil Defense aircraft warning tower stood behind the building during World War II, as well as a city water tower from 1947-1971. The Ormond Fire House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a City of Ormond Beach Historic Landmark.

Greg and Jori Snell and the Florida Department of State