Historic Markers Across Florida



Dreka Building 1882



Marker ID:  
Location: S Woodland Blvd south of New York Ave, DeLand, FL
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 29° 01.683    W 081° 18.200
  29.02805    -81.30333333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMTATA
 



Text:

Dreka Building 1882


On this site in 1882 George A. Dreka built his 2-story department store that later was expanded to four floors to also hold the Carrolton Hotel. In the 1886 fire that consumed much of the town, blankets were hung from the balconies and kept wet by a bucket brigade using water from a tank on the roof. In 1909 Dreka then moved the building and, for an estimated $75,000, erected the current structure designed by L M Wethers, which was the first reinforced concrete building in Volusia County. A brilliant entrepreneur, Dreka became the largest merchant in the area. His store's slogan was "everything to eat, wear, and use."