Historic Markers Across Florida



First Commercial Store 1877



Marker ID:  
Location: on West Indiana Ave west of north Woodland Blvd, DeLand, FL
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 29° 01.735    W 081° 18.238
  29.02891666    -81.30396666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMTATG
 



Text:

center> First Commercial Store 1877

Capt. James B. Jordan came to DeLand in 1876. While serving in a North Carolina regiment during the civil war, Capt. Jordan was wounded and taken prisoner in July 1863 at the Battle of Gettysburg. Following the war, he came to Florida and opened DeLand's first commercial store in a wood building on this site. A year later he sold all his goods - lock, stock, and barrel, - to George P. Dreka and John G. Kilkoff. This site, then, became the first Dreka store in DeLand. An energetic and successful entrepreneur, Dreka later built a larger store on the corner of E. New York Ave. and Woodland Blvd. in 1882. There he became DeLand's foremost retailer. The wood building that was here burned to the ground in the fire of 1886.