Historic Markers Across Florida



First Movie House Circa 1907



Marker ID:  
Location: on West Indiana Ave west of North Woodland Blvd, DeLand, FL
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 29° 01.742    W 081° 18.222
  29.02903333    -81.3037
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMTAV4
 



Text:

First Movie House Circa 1907


Around 1907 V. Ward Gould and Arthur Voyle opened DeLand's first silent movie business here. With straight backed chairs for the audience and sheeting for a screen, they rigged up a projection booth and hired a pianist to furnish the music. The film was hand-cranked, and its speed was regulated by the operator. Film breaks were to be expected. Any movie with a railroad train in it or fire apparatus running to a fire was popular. But perhaps the peak of entertainment was reached when the film operator, well-noted for "tipping the jug" while at work, ran the film backwards with unexpected results. It was a comedy hit! Admission: 10 cents.