Historic Markers Across Florida



The First Post Office 1877



Marker ID:  
Location: on West Indiana Ave west of North Woodland Blvd, DeLand, FL
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 29° 01.745    W 081° 18.232
  29.02908333    -81.30386666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMTAVB
 



Text:

The First Post Office 1877


According to early sources, the first post office in DeLand was in the rear of the Jordan & Lancaster store on West Indiana Avenue somewhere "between Woodland Boulevard and Florida Avenue." Dr. G. W. Lancaster, DeLand's first druggist, was also the first postmaster. In front was a hitching post humorously referred to as "The Buzzard's Roost." Folk gathered there in the afternoon to await the mail carrier who brought the mail by buckboard and on foot from the steamboat landing at Cabbage Bluff. The brick buildings that replaced the old wood structures on this street were largely built around the turn of the 20th century. For nearly seventy years, this building was the site of the Reeve & Howard gift shop.