Historic Markers Across Florida



The Opera House



Marker ID:  
Location: North Woodland Blvd north of Rich Ave, DeLand, FL
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 29° 01.803    W 081° 18.210
  29.03005    -81.3035
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMTAXT
 



Text:

The Opera House


This corner was the site of DeLand's first newspaper, The Volusia County Herald, first published on May 10, 1877 by Henry DeLand. It was succeeded in 1878 by The Agriculturalist, edited by Col. C. C. Codrington, Gov. General of the West Indies, who escaped with his family during a native uprising in 1870. With his newspaper, Codrington became important to the development of semi-tropic agricultural in Florida. From these two early newspapers came the E.O. Painter Printing Company, believed to be the oldest continuing printing business in Florida. In 1910 the wood structure was replaced with this brick building, part of which contained the DeLand Opera House, a center for plays and musical entertainment.