Historic Markers Across Florida



Site of Old Stone Wharf



Marker ID: DAR 
Location: S. Riverside Dr near Clinch St., New Smyrna Beach, FL
County: Volusia
Coordinates: N 29° 01.181    W 080° 55.095
  29.01968333    -80.91825
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMV6RN
 



Text:

Site of Old Stone Wharf


Built by Turnbull colonists in 1768 it formed a terminus of the Kings Road completed in 1771 and marked the beginning point of all of the early surveys of the community.
It was the scene of a Civil War engagement March 24, 1862 between the 3rd Florida Regiment and seamen of the Union gunboats "Henry Andrews" and "Penguin."

Sponsored by Jane Sheldon Chapter National Society D.A.R.
1940