Historic Markers Across Florida



Port Leon 1838-1843



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: SR-363
County: Wakulla
Coordinates: N 30° 09.263    W 084° 12.258
  30.15438333    -84.2043
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WM7T7P
 



Text:

Port Leon, located three miles south of St. Marks on Apalachee Bay, was founded in 1838 and incorporated in 1841. It was developed by and became the terminus of the Tallahassee Railroad Company. It was a prosperous port for a few years and was the county seat of Wakulla County. Completely destroyed by a hurricane and tidal wave in September 1843, the town was not rebuilt. The residents moved further inland and established Newport.


Notes:

City: St. Marks, FL