Historic Markers Across Florida

San Marcos De Apalachee

Marker ID: FLHM F-131
Location: at the San Marcos de Apalachee State Historic Site
County: Wakulla
Coordinates: N 30° 09.162    W 084° 12.601
  30.1527    -84.21001666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7BN9


San Marcos De Apalache

(side 1)
Wooden stockades were built here by the Spanish in 1680 an 1758. In 1758, these were destroyed by a hurricane which drowned the garrison. A masonry fort was begun in 1759 but was soon abandoned to the Indians for a trading post and Indian rendezvous. It was reoccupied by the Spanish in 1783. General Andrew Jackson seized and occupied the fort in 1819. It became a United States possession in 1821 upon purchase of the territory from Spain.

(side 21)
It was occupied as an army post until 1824 when the Indians were moved to a reservation. The Town of St. Marks was created by an act of Congress in 1830 and became a port of entry before railroads were extended to the seaboard. The fort was re-established and occupied by the Confederate Army during the Civil War and a Federal Naval attack on the fort was repulsed in 1865.

F-131 Florida Board of Park and Historic Memorials
in cooperation with
Florida State Society and Dominie Everardus Bogardus Chapter,
Colonial Dames XVII Century.


City: St. Marks, FL